A friend recently shared her 30 before 30 list, and I found myself completely inspired by its contents.
1) Run a half marathon. A full sounds too intimidating, but I can commit to a half.
2) Visit Hawaii. I don’t even care which island. I don’t discriminate when it comes to paradise. As long as I get to set foot on a volcano, my satisfaction will be complete.
3) Go skinny dipping. Just once. Before I’m old.
4) Watch a meteor shower–even if it means waking up at 2AM. I am frightfully devoted to my sleep, but the night sky is worth every sacrifice.
5) Climb a mountain. Maybe Mt. Kilimanjaro. Maybe just a bunny hill. But something.
6) Go scuba-diving. I don’t think I’ll ever leave my home planet, but dipping beneath the waves of the sea is as close as I’m likely to get to visiting another world.
7) Travel somewhere all by myself. Completely by myself. An entire trip. The very prospect terrifies me. But I think it’s something I’d value forever.
8) Learn to speak another language. I’m leaning toward ASL currently. But Spanish would most likely benefit me more. Then again, I’ve always been entranced by the idea of learning French…
9) Hike part of the AT. Sleep under the stars.
10) Go white river rafting. I don’t think I could ever commit to bungee jumping or sky diving, but I could raft so long as I had my Benjamin by my side. He makes me brave.
11) Completely unplug for an entire week. No phone, TV, or laptop. Sounds like heaven.
12) Go on a cruise. This is maybe more interesting to Benjamin than it is to me, but I admit that I am amenable on this topic.
13) Do a full split. I completely stole this one from my friend’s list. But I’m not ashamed. Because I think it’s an incredible goal.
14) Do a pistol squat. Have you seen those things? Such mastery.
15) Attend a midnight premiere of a movie. Now to find a movie that could tempt me away from sleep…?
16) See a broadway show. On broadway.
17) Read Moby Dick. This goal has been on every New Year Resolution list I’ve made since I was 15. I hope that I can cross it off before I’m 30.
18) Become a decent-ish amateur photographer.
19) Follow a vegan diet for 30 days.
20) Go on a bicycle trip. My husband biked from somewhere in OR to San Francisco after completing his BS. It was an unforgettable experience for him. I’d like to make a memory like that with him too.
21) Find a physical sport. That I like. And then make it a part of my life. I’m currently leaning toward hiking, yoga, or maybe soccer. I suppose croquet doesn’t really count.
22) Learn how to change a tire. All by myself. Well, maybe I could use help learning how to do it, but once I’ve learned it, I want to change a tire completely solo.
23) Set foot on the Great Wall of China. I don’t need to walk the whole thing, but I want to experience it.
24) See the Northern Lights.
25) Own a brand new piece of furniture–not from IKEA.
26) Watch a truly spectacular fireworks show with Benjamin. I hear that Hong Kong and Berlin are good at the whole fireworks thing.
27) Avoid buying bottled water for 365 days. At least.
28) Make a will. Sounds ominous, but apparently it is the mature thing to do.
29) Learn how to ski. UGH. This pastime will likely become my nemesis for years to come. But I shall conquer this. I shall.
30) Have a kid. Or two. Or more? We’ll see.
I am satisfied with my list. And after this, I’ll get going on my 40 before 40 list.